Friday, July 6, 2012

Hospital Jackson Hole



OK with my Sweetie (lap top, Nespresso and sound system too)
Well I had my first taste of real Surgery with General Anesthesia and the rest of the works yesterday. Recalling my grandmother died in her 30's from anesthesia with a routine minor procedure, my dad, while still working, died from a heart cath complications this millennium, and my good friend and long time partner, Mike, died recently from elective heart surgery, I was more nervous in the preop on deck circle than I was on the Teton Pass, when it was inevitable I was crashing at high speed on a busy road. Is that the definition of an ridiculous control freak? Yes, and blend that with a near Psychotic Paranoid. 

OK, I'll put all the cards on the table. In addition to the above Psych diagnosis I have bestowed upon myself, as well as the previously mentioned PreTraumatic Stress Disorder, I also have the mundane seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Right now I am most concerned with this diagnosis. I am not convinced the major factor in SAD is the decrease in light one experiences each winter. I have often said "sunshine is like family, maybe overrated." Based on no data, (which always screws up a progressive free thinker) I am convinced SAD is due to diminished outdoor physical activity, a consequence of the shorter days. Right now I am staring down the barrel of that gun. Staying sane over next month is going to be way harder than riding across the US of A. The Ride was going well and I felt I was getting stronger each day. Inactivity is a malignant threat. If I don't come up with a solution, I might need to utter my favorite line, in my all time favorite movie Moonstruck. When Nicholas Cage meets Cher for the first time, distraught to learn his brother is going to marry her, something that can never happen to him because of his hand wound,  he screams " Chrissey, get me the big knife"


I love it when everything is on the line and I need to come up with a plan. I am the only geek that likes to go the ER in middle of the night. I enjoy the drive in when I have heard the story and don't have clue of what I am going to do when I get there. I always think of something, and usually feel confident about it, even the next day. Usually, that is, if I am carrying an overall positive attitude. Bad attitude translates to no confidence, to doubt, to fear, to terror, to the big knife, Chrissey. Right now I don't know my next step. I'll come up with something.


The surgery went well. The right hemipelvis was detached. The bones were line up and bolted together. All done from the back side with minimum incisions. No blood loss and it only took an hour and 1/2




Worst pain of the week . Self portrait taken while foley
catheter was being removed. Bite holes were in the cloth
No Garmen data. Hey you nice people on face book, thanks for the comments but I can't reply for some reason. Send me an email if you know my address and I'll figure out how to reply on face book when I get home. Plan is to fly out on Sunday AM. I am up and walking with a walker, no significant pain since above photo which clearly defined what pain could be!

6 comments:

  1. I wish you'd learn mosaics and teach me. It seems right up your alley, and Charlotte could help with the designs. They'd have to endue the outdoors. I saw a huge concrete ball covered in mosaics on a website and it was awesome. So glad you're on the mend and headed back to the indoors of Ga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It appears that my comments have never made it to the blog. While I thought I had figured it out apparently I hadn't. I will try once more and then consign myself to email. Facebook is something i avoid like a bad pothole. I was shocked and saddened by your spill on the descent - like Tim - for you and myself. What better than your post, a stage of the Tour and a nice ride for a good day? I was enjoying the stories and think you should continue even if you're not riding across country at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom and Charlotte,
    After having a good cry over the shock and sadness of your accident, I am so grateful you are neurologically intact, and still on this earth with us! David &I will continue to pray for a rapid recovery, and also that you won't become psychotic while inactive:) becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be sure to get the pre and post surgery X-rays - nothing says manly man like showing those films off - Tom 2.0 will be stronger and faster than before and the new and improved bolted pelvis won't break in the event you take another tumble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Tom and Charlotte portrait, thank you for that! Have a stressless flight home, and consider doing Chi Qong as an interim exercise activity. I know you probably consider it too unscientific or "out there" somewhere, but I think it will work....may your dreams be full of mountain rides, Idaho falls, and butt rash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael is right -- you need to get your pre- and post-surgery X-rays. I still have mine showing my totally snapped right ankle & my reconstructed one showing it held together w/12 screws & a plate after my bike accident. Keep the faith, Tom, you'll heal up soon. It took me about 8-9 mos w/lots of PT, but my rt ankle is probably stronger than my left one. Hope your flight home went OK for you.
    Cheers, Roof

    ReplyDelete