Thursday, April 5, 2012

Major setbacks over the last few days. I was able to get my package for the ride completed and sent. This included expected waivers, money, medical release from my doctor and an unsubstantiated affidavit to my current level of fitness.  I wonder if the company (ABB-America by Bicycle) would exclude anyone who was attempting to "ride myself into shape" starting with day 1 of the tour. Actually I am hoping there will be some attempting this. I am an amateur exercise physiologist and uncertain how that would go.. I feel fairly certain I  could NOT do it.  Likely I would progressively lose weight and start metabolizing muscle, get weaker and weaker day by day. The end point would be inability to ride or perhaps even walk . This observation will be less than scientific because it will depend on the particular rider's own account of what he/she claims to have done in preparation. Riders are generally liars on this subject. Not riding much implies laziness resulting in an exaggerated account of miles ridden. More commonly one will claim minimal training, when that is not the case, resulting in a more impressive appearing ability. "Wow that guy was able to ride 100 miles in just over 5 hours with little prep. If only he was fit to begin"

I will need to be more proactive in my work schedule.Our group is covering the hospital this week and there  were several bad nights after full work load with the day job. That throws training under the bus both time and energy wise so I have done nothing for 2 days and  am now letting the double expressos kick so I can get on rollers while dark before another full day and likely night. Very slim chance to make the Tuesday-Thursday group ride-race tonight

1 comment:

  1. Tom, my training recommendation is that you pedal your way down to McDonald's and commit yourself to eating a Big Mac and apple pie a day up to the launch date, or tackle the pancake breakfast at J. Christopher's; either way you need to pack on some pounds or you'll be burning muscle in no time.

    ReplyDelete